Website Sony Interactive Entertainment
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
We are looking for an Art Director for our next big game!
As the Art Director of the talented and passionate art teams behind RETURNAL you will work closely with teams of in-game artists and other creatives to help drive the next evolution of Housemarque games.
It will be your role to form the art style with the creative teams, ensure visual cohesion and quality across the project, facilitate professional growth and champion the artistic vision of the project.
What will your day-to-day look like?
The Art Director is responsible for setting and communicating the aesthetic vision with the Creative Director and other stakeholders for the game. They guide the art teams, influencing and managing multiple departments like Concept, Lighting, Character, and VFX teams.
Your impact would be most felt in establishing and maintaining quality benchmarks, guiding team members, and making pivotal decisions in your area of expertise. On the supportive side, you would assist in project planning, risk assessment, and even crisis resolution when challenges arise. Beyond hard skills, your role includes mentoring, refining workflows, and potentially innovating new processes for efficiency and quality. Collaboratively, you’ll work closely not only with other internal craft teams but also with external partner studios to ensure a unified vision and high-quality output across all aspects of the project.
What will help you to be successful in this role?
- A background in game art direction, ideally with at least one AAA title to your credit, or substantial experience in a comparable industry like film.
- Demonstrable leadership skills
- Contribute to studio planning in areas like, headcount, and culture, as needed.
- Create, develop, and support new leaders
- The ability to balance aesthetic appeal with gameplay functionality
- In our production environment, the qualities that would set you apart include a willingness to continuously learn, take ownership of tasks, and show accountability.
- Effective communication and a knack for mentoring are vital. Not just for your success, but for the overall betterment of the team and the project.
- Proficiency in advanced Photoshop and a 3D program of your choice is mandatory.
- Maintain an inspiring and mindful creative culture, where experimentation, feedback and iteration are highly encouraged
- Familiarity with game engines like Unreal or Unity are preferred.
- High-level proficiency in English for both written and verbal communication.
- Passion for action video games.
Other things that can contribute to your success:
- Art degree (BA MA, etc.)
- Experience with JIRA, Hansoft and other Project Management Tools
What we offer to you?
- Competitive salary, benefits, healthcare, Nordic work-life balance
- Tailored immigration and relocation package to help you get settled into Finland
- A warm and welcoming atmosphere at our cozy Helsinki office
- Freedom, flexibility and openness in a collaborative culture
- Brilliant, diverse and empathetic colleagues to work with
- Exciting and ambitious projects executed with the best tools
- Access to Playstation Studios collaboration, games and more!
This is a permanent, full-time position based in Helsinki, Finland.
We will start interviewing promising candidates immediately so please apply as soon as possible.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.